King hopes to be in Euro squad
Sidmouth eventer Mary King was enthusiastic about the London 2012 equestrian venue after attending the test event at Greenwich Park last weekend, writes Lee Glanville.
The equestrian squad will be at the heart of the Olympics, staying in the athletes village.
She said: “It has all been set up so that there is no trace left afterwards on the park. The main arena, stabling and wash off areas are all raised off the ground, on stilts. There will be fantastic photographic opportunities as several cross country fences are set up to look as if the horses are jumping London landmarks like the O2 Arena and the whole site looks out over central London. It will be a very tough track to ride, lots of hills and turns, but a real level playing field for all nations including the GB teams.”
?Mary’s daughter, Emily, 15, was fourth in the Junior National Championships held at Glanusk last weekend. She was riding Mr Hiho in an International Novice class, finishing top lady rider and youngest rider. They finished on their dressage score of 44.6. The pair have subsequently been long-listed for the European Championships GB team.
Mary said: “Emily is the most inexperienced on the long-list and there were people who finished below her at Glanusk who have consistent form, so we shall see. It wouldn’t surprise me if she wasn’t selected, but it is very exciting for her to have gone so well under pressure.”
You may also want to watch:
? Mary will be competing this weekend at Barbury Castle horse trials on Fern Hill Urco and King’s Temptress and heads off to Aachen next week for an invitational international event, with Imperial Cavalier, where all the top riders and horses will be competing.
The GB senior team for the European championships will be announced after Barbury.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 3 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 4 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Joma Devon and Exeter League Weekend Fixtures
- 7 Try tennis for FREE at Sidford Tennis Club
- 8 Sidmouth Ladies restart with a golf comp
- 9 Sidmouth in Bloom seating project full of civic pride
- 10 New exhibition features Sidmouth view