Knowles shows true sportsmanship as Digger Cup is won by Wilmington at Sidmouth
- Credit: Archant
The very popular annual competition, the Digger Cup, meant a very busy first tee for much of the day, writes George Carr.
Played off full handicap the format allows the individual to ‘challenge’ the course hole by hole using his handicap allowance.
A net or actual par means the hole is shared with the course and no score; anything worse means the course gains a point, anything better and the player registers a point and so, as can be seen, a score of five is by no means easy for any player to achieve, Lester Wilmington and Simon Knowles both managed it however; but Wilmington it was who took first place and with it the Digger Cup on count back from Knowles whose’ ‘no returns’ on the comparatively simple 15th and 18th holes did not help his cause.
What certainly cost him the trophy however, was the foul stroke he sportingly called on himself when his ball moved after he addressed it whilst putting for what seemed a certain four-net-three on the 17th green which score would certainly have won him the Digger Cup.
It seems no one else was witness to it, including club captain John Rockey who was marking the Knowles card, and it is heartening to see such standards prevailing in the club - well done indeed Simon Knowles!
You may also want to watch:
Veteran Paul Murphy gained an excellent third place on the day using his 20 handicap and newly-liberated swing to full advantage to register a score of three points against the course.
Congratulations then to the deserved winner of the Digger Cup on the day, Lester Wilmington and, also, to a very gallant loser - Simon Knowles.
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 3 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 4 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 5 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 6 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 7 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 8 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 9 Sidmouth Rugby Club’s Devon success stories
- 10 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss