Ladies’ first win over Teign
Sidmouth Ladies 1st XI 2 , Teign 1
Having never previously won against Teign, and after experiencing a 6-0 defeat the last time the teams met, Sidmouth expected this to be a tough match. However, the game proved to be the highlight of the season so far for the Sidmouth Ladies with a well deserved first victory.
In the early exchanges, Sidmouth looked dangerous and threatened the Teign defence on several occasions.
Their efforts were rewarded when Taryn Beuthin connected with Sarah Roberts' cross to score the opening goal.
Teign tried to reply but their technical play, and skilful stick work were broken down by the solid Sidmouth defence, led by some superb tackles from Chloe Munn.
You may also want to watch:
The lead could have been extended when Sarah Hutchings scored from a short corner, but this goal was disallowed as the ball was too high.
Player of the Match, Sarah Thomas also came close to scoring, but, unfortunately, her shot ricocheted off the post.
- 1 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 2 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 3 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 4 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 5 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 6 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 7 Country owes a 'great debt' to The Duke of Edinburgh
- 8 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 9 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 10 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
Having the full squad of 13 players available for this fixture meant that the high work rate was maintained in the second half.
Fresh legs up front helped contribute to the second Sidmouth goal when Taryn Beuthin scored following good runs from Jess Allen and Chrissie Mitchell.
Teign managed to pull one goal back after intercepting a pass as Sidmouth looked to move the ball out of defence. However, they were denied any further scoring opportunities by an excellent all round Sidmouth team effort, resulting in their best performance of the season.