Ladies push Mendip to the limit
SOHC Ladies 1st XI 1, Mendip 1
Despite the hammering rain and flood threat to the pitch, Sidmouth and Ottery HC Ladies were in great shape to secure some vital points after a disappointing two weeks.
Sidmouth started strongly with some excellent breaks forward from Sara Roberts and Anna Rowson giving the strikers opportunities on goal. Chrissie Mitchell and Bobby Caldwell struck the post twice and, with several attempts going wide, a goal looked imminent.
Player of the Match Molly Adkin kept the striking force of Mendip at bay making some crucial tackles with the limited chances they had breaking forward.
The defence of Chloe Munn and Lea Pidgeon worked hard to keep Mendip out of SOHC’s half but, unfortunately, the only chance Mendip had at goal they scored leaving the home side down 1-0 at half time, despite sidmouth having all the play. Mendip’s goalkeeper kept the side in the game with some admirable saves from the relentless SOHC attack.
You may also want to watch:
Starting strongly in the second half, SOHC’s determination showed as Alice Stafford and Vicki Russell made it difficult for Mendip when challenging them for the ball, winning the 50/50 chances. Hayley Delasalle remained quiet in defence but vocally she continued to motivate the side.
Nicky Bishop was then moved into a forward position and immediately created problems for the Mendip defence, her speed allowing SOHC to make break after break through the pitch but with no reward of a goal.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 5 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 6 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 7 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 8 Joma Devon & Exeter League results and fixtures
- 9 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 10 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
With minutes left, Caldwell made a fantastic run up the right wing and crossed into Hannah Watts who placed the ball calmly past the talented Mendip keeper. SOHC continued to attack until the end and had several more positive runs of play but the final result finished as a draw.
The ladies would like to thank the dedicated supporters who turned up in the pouring rain to support our team.
Sidmouth and Ottery 1st team travel to Winscombe in Somerset next week hoping to end the first half of the season on a real high!