Last ball defeat for Sidmouth under-11s in thriller at Sandford
SIDMOUTH under-11s were involved in a thrilling encounter with Sandford that saw them edged out on the final delivery of the game.
After being invited to bat Sidmouth served up their finest performance to date this term with the bat with a key feature being the exceptional running between the wickets.
Ethan Mead led the run scoring with a blistering unbeaten 27 and the best of the support came from Max Hancock (20) and Ben Gosse (14) in a total of 84.
An excellent opening spell from Ollie Pugsley, who claimed three wickets for just one run, put the reply on the back foot.
However the Creedy Park side are a useful outfit and they battled back into the contest with an exceptional half century stand to put themselves in the box seat.
You may also want to watch:
There was a champagne moment in the match, that being a magnificent catch held by Joseph Craven off the bowling of Gosse which checked the Mid Devon’s side advance to victory.
With the final delivery to be bowled Sandford required a single run to win and the batsman held his nerve to clear the encircling fielders to bring a dramatic last ball victory for his side.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 3 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 4 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Joma Devon & Exeter League Results
- 7 Joma Devon and Exeter League Weekend Fixtures
- 8 Sidmouth Ladies restart with a golf comp
- 9 Sidmouth in Bloom seating project full of civic pride
- 10 New exhibition features Sidmouth view