Last-gasp miss sends Town to another loss


- Credit: Archant

Sidmouth Town’s latest South West Peninsula League, Eastern Division outing summed up their campaign to date.

That’s because, for the umpteenth time this season, the Vikings came out of a contest with nothing to show for an overall effort that, at the very least, deserved a share of the spoils.

A 2-1 defeat to high-flying Crediton United becomes the 12th loss of the league campaign for the Vikings - and the eighth by just the one goal!

Missed chances - gilt-edged ones too - in the opening minutes and also with what proved to be the last kick of the contest, left Town boss Josh Stunell once again ruing his side’s lack of finishing finesse.

Stunell says: “Right at the beginning of the game, no more than two minutes in, young Tyler [Wellman] had a header that, probably nine times out of 10, he would find the net with - but this time the header was straight at the goal keeper. Then, with what proved to be the final play of the game, the visiting glovesman made a hash of a clearance and the ball fell to Rob [Knight] with an open goal in front of him, and he somehow put the ball wide of the mark!”

You may also want to watch:

The Town boss continued: “You had to feel for the lads - and especially Rob [Knight] - no one deliberately misses and the spotlight always seems to fall big time on the lads who miss such chances at such late stages. The game against Crediton really did underline just how close we are from the top teams, but, as I have said so many times already this season, we really are not getting the rub of the green.

“Yes, you can argue that we have missed chances and so only have ourselves to blame, but these defeats are by the narrowest of margins and I remain ultra confident in our ability to stay out of the bottom two.”

Most Read

Typical of the Town campaign so far, they twice missed glorious chances to take the lead before falling behind in the fifth minute. The visiting side doubled their advantage courtesy of a wicked deflection and half-time arrived with Town two goals down.

The second half belonged to the Vikings as they pinned Crediton United back deep into their own half. With 15 minutes to go, Matt Clenahan headed Town back into the contest, but then came that dramatic last-gasp miss and the final whistle blew straight after to leave Town still in some degree of trouble near the foot of the table.

The next four weeks will see Town get little action as they have no game on three of the next four Saturdays, with their next action being a March 10 trip to Teignmouth.

Town boss Stunell says of his side’s situation: “We have nine games left and probably need a couple of wins.

“The fact we don’t play on three of the next four Saturdays is far from ideal, but we will be looking to get a couple of friendlies in and I expect a number of lads will look to get games in with other clubs as and when they can. As for our situation, it’s a false one and we will be OK!”

? More Town news inside on page 47.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus