Leap Year Parkrun makes for a novel occasion
- Credit: Archant
With this year being a leap year, February 29 was, coincidently, a Saturday, writes Hamish Spence.
Nobody has run a Parkrun on a Saturday, February 29 before!
The last time a Saturday was also February 29 was back in 1992, long before Parkrun began.
The next time it will be possible to do this will be on Saturday, February 29, 2048, so, put that date in your diary… just under 28 years to go!
Shaun Tipton headed up north to take part in the picturesque Parkrun in Worsley, Manchester.
You may also want to watch:
There was a great atmosphere with some rain, a bit of sunshine, woodlands and one stream, all on a flattish route.
Shaun particularly enjoyed the cheerful high-fiving Marshall's.
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 6 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 7 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 8 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 9 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 10 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
At Henstridge Airfield Arthur and Christine Vince managed times of 45:41 and 48:38 respectively.
Travelling even further afield, to the other side of the globe Karen Farnham and David Millen took part in the Queenstown, New Zealand, Parkrun.
This run followed a pleasant route alongside Lake Wakatipu and through woodlands and gardens.
The run took in three hills and felt very slow!
However, both managed to get around in under 30 minutes.
Nearer to home, David H Welsh, David Skinner, Christie Ward, John Sharples Sarah Powell and Beccy Johnson all leapt into action at a blustery Seaton.
Julia Haddrell was joined by eight other Mighty Green's (MGs) at Exmouth, they had almost every weather type thrown at them, wind, rain, hail, a beautiful rainbow and then finally the sun came out!
The MGs who took part in the Exmouth Parkrun, and their times, were: Sarah Clapham (25:54); Derek Blackburn (26:17); Paula Farrand (26:50); Al Colwill (27:02); Bert Dykema (28:52); Julia Haddrell (32:06); Jane Stein (32:44); Lesley Miszewska (32:59) and Joanne May (49:37).