Lee lands Sidmouth club championshp with superb second round
- Credit: Archant
The Club Championship at Sidmouth Golf Club was played last Sunday in overcast conditions on a course which was in great condition with the greens showing the benefit of the recent improvement programme, writes John Rockey.
The Club Championship is a 36-hole medal competition played off scratch with the two rounds played in one day.
It therefore attracts only the best and fittest players in the club who normally make extensive preparations prior to the championship to ensure they are in peak physical condition, but of course there are exceptions!
This year, the strict diet that Jonathan Lee has been on recently obviously paid off.
Lee opened with a disappointing round of 77 to virtually put him out of the running.
You may also want to watch:
However, after a refreshing lunch he came out in the afternoon with all guns blazing to shoot 69, which was the best of the day, to take the club’s top honour once more, this time with a score of 146. Second was club vice captain David Pepperell who shot the best first round of 70, but clearly did not benefit from his lunch break and crashed to an 80 in the afternoon for a total of 150.
In third place was Stuart Coles who recovered from a bad first round of 79 to add a second round 73 for a total of 152.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 3 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 4 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 5 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 6 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 7 Art shop thanks customers who have shown support
- 8 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients