Lines stars with bat and ball as Sidmouth II defeat Plymouth II
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth 2nds were 22 run winners when they met Plymouth II.
Batting first, the Fortfield men were led to a 243-7 in 45 overs by an 87-ball knock of 73 from opener Dec Lines whilst Robbie Powell chipped in with a 38-ball innings of 48 and the other opening bat, Thomas Moore, hit a more patient 67-delivery 35.
Late innings runs – which proved vital in the final reckoning, came from number six bat Wes Holmes with 21 and a nine-ball cameo from Fionn Wardrop that saw him contribute 14 with one six and a four.
Thomas Simmons (5) and Charlie Dibble (10) were the not out batsmen at the close.
At 206-5 the Plymouth run chase was well on course, but the Sidmouth bowlers fired their side right back into the contest with Lines claiming four wickets for 57 runs from an eight over spell and Daley Holmes bagged a brace of wickets – his at a cost of 57 runs from seven overs.
You may also want to watch:
Wesley Holmes (1-21 from seven overs) and Charlie Dibble (1-26 from nine) were the other Sidmouth wicket takers.
The win leaves the Fortfield second string sitting a healthy 14 points clear at the top of the table with one third of the league campaign now completed. On Saturday they travel to sixth placed Plympton II.
- 1 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 2 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 3 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 4 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 5 Business owners are asking 'has the Government done enough to help?'
- 6 Peninsula League season could be over
- 7 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 8 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 9 Popular Sidmouth swimathon set to return this year
- 10 How the Beeching Report signalled the end of the line for many local railways