Liz Elliott set to wear the GB vest at World Triathlon Sprint Championships in Hyde Park, London in September.
- Credit: Archant
The ITU World Triathlon Sprint Championships are to take place in Hyde Park London this September using the same course many will have seen in the Olympic games, writes Dennis Elliott.
On Saturday the British Championships were staged in Nottingham at the National Water Sport Centre.
The course for this event is 750 metres of swimming followed by 20 km of cycling followed by a 5 km run. One of the great attractions of the sport of triathlon is the age group system which allows individual athletes to compete in five year race categories. Two members of East Devon’s N1 Tri Club went up to Nottingham to race. The nature of the course involving a lake swim followed by four bike laps and a final run lap made for excellent viewing for the large crowds who enjoyed the fabulous weather conditions and the glamour of a sport at its best.
Jane Beech who is an excellent athlete and someone who enjoys every minute of her sporting life performed up to her ability and completed the course in one hour 16 minutes 27 seconds unfortunately not quite good enough for a place in the GB squad in Hyde Park.
Thanks to the superb technical N1 cycle sessions masterminded by Karl Hodson, Liz Elliott’s cycling has reached a high standard for her age, she stormed the bike leg of the course and came home in fifth place in her category in 1 hour 25 minutes 47 seconds.
You may also want to watch:
As a result she will have the honour of wearing the GB vest in September in London.
- 1 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 2 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 3 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 4 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 5 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 6 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 7 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 8 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 9 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 10 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb