Local fencers return from Plymouth with a number of medals
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth & East Devon Fencing Club (SEDFC) sent a number of youngsters to Plymouth to compete at the Buckland Cup, a handicap junior foil meeting, and a number of medals were brought home, writes Nigel Manning.
In the Under-13 section, Toby Moore gained a silver and Donnie Cass won bronze while, in the Under-10 section, Alex Moore won bronze.
Also fencing were Alannah Sawyer (joint best girl) and Isaac Copley. All the fencers displayed the technical skill which is the hallmark of the Sidmouth and East Devon Fencing Club, as well as outstanding determination and sportsmanship.
Providing an excellent example and role model for our young fencers is Grace Williams, who this year won the South West Women’s Foil Championship, and recently came fifth at the prestigious Cardiff Open, only being knocked out in the last stages by a former Olympic fencer. Sabre fencing is also thriving at Sidmouth, with 16-year-old Ollie Manning coming fourth in the South West Men’s Sabre Championship, and fencing coach Angela Findlay recently returning from Italy, having represented Great Britain in the World Veteran Sabre Championship.
The club has been sad to see some of our best young fencers leaving for university, where many of them are already fencing for their university teams.
You may also want to watch:
We are looking forward to catching up with their achievements when they return this Christmas.
There is a warm welcome at the club for beginners and experienced fencers alike, of all ages from eight to 80 and beyond. Anyone interested in fencing should contact Sidmouth Sport Centre for more information.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Hopes high that half marathon will be an annual event
- 5 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 6 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 7 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 8 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 9 Toto goes bananas with his love for fruit and veg shop
- 10 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action