Long goal nets Sidmouth Raiders Under-11s a deserved point
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Raiders Under-11s were well worth the share of the spoils they took in a meeting with high-flying St Martins.
What made the 1-1 draw all the more remarkable was that the two sides began the game separated by six places and 19 points in the Division Two table!
The visitors were clearly shocked with the performance from a resurgent and resilient Raiders’ team that continued their renaissance with some aplomb.
St Martins were quickly onto the front foot and attacked relentlessly from the first whistle. However, to a player, the Raiders defence stood firm and proved equal to the opposition’s best efforts.
That solid base at the back gave Raiders confidence to mount a series of counter-attacks and, from one such raid, Frank Long applied a clinical finish to fire Raiders’ into the lead.
You may also want to watch:
As expected the St Martins response was fierce, but in Raiders’ goalkeeper Ollie Keast they found an unbeatable obkect! The youngster made some outstanding saves. Such was the young gloves man’s performance that it was only going to be something special that beat him, and so it was as the equaliser was a shot that gave Keast no chance.
Thereafter St Martins pressed for a second, but the home side stayed strong and composed and continued to carry a real threat on the counter through the lively Miles Lewis.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 5 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 6 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 7 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 8 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 9 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 10 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
At full-time the home support showed their appreciation for a fabulous collective shift from the Raiders.
Raiders team: Keast, Mercan, Goodman, Lascelles, Dorman, Baldwin, O’Connor, Long, Lewis, Bennett, Selley.