Lucas at the double as SOHC men’s 4th XI suffer away defeat
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey Club (SOHC) men’s 4th XI went down 5-2 when they travelled to Yeovil and Sherborne for what turned out to be a competitive encounter.
Impressively, given that the team made the trip with a bare 11, including youngster Charlie Board, who is new to the side, they competed in all areas of the pitch, particularly in the first half.
While it wasn't against the run of play in an even encounter, it was the home side that took the lead. SOHC responded well and equalised with a well-taken goal by Richard Lucas, and the sides trooped off at the break all square at 1-1.
In the second half, SOHC began to tire, but there was still no let-up in their collective desire to serve up maximum effort.
It was the home side's ability to ring the changes, introducing fresh legs that made the difference in the second half as they scored four more times before Lucas bagged his second of the game with a well-deflected shot beating the keeper.
You may also want to watch:
Tomorrow (Saturday) the 4th XI are in Ottery action with a 3.30pm start for their meeting with Taunton Vale E. When the sides met in Somerset in October, the home side won 4-1.
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 4 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 5 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 6 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 7 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 8 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
- 9 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 10 Young gardeners enjoy seeing the early fruits of their labour