Luggers welcome new racer
The lugger race last Monday was for the RNLI Pennant, writes John Mortimore.
Eight luggers left from the beach and included a new lugger, Little Wind, skippered and owned by Dave Townsend. We welcome him and his lugger to the fleet.
There was a very light south west wind blowing, with a fair tide running up channel.
First away from the start line was the Percy Mitchell, sailing westward for the windward mark. The Mary and Sea Witch were well in pursuit.
The Scrumpy, Little Wing and Twilight broke away from the rest and tacked shorewards. This tack paid off, as Scrumpy was first around the mark. The Percy Mitchell was second and Little Wind following in third.
You may also want to watch:
The tide caught Scrumpy out on the leeward buoy, which let the Percy Mitchell come through and take the lead to complete the first round of the race.
As the race continued, due to the light winds, positions changed frequently. Twilight, Sea Witch and the Mary were all together, while the Puffin and Moondance were bringing up the rear.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 3 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 4 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 5 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 6 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 7 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
- 8 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 9 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 10 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
The Little Wind lost two places by making the wrong tack, but, as the wind gradually died down, she found herself in the right place at the right time and regained second place.
The Race officer decided to shorten the race, so, with the Percy Mitchell well in front, they crossed the finishing line in pole position. Following on for second place was Little Wind with Twilight crossing in third position.
Result of the Race: 1, Percy Mitchell sailed by A Green; 2, Little Wind sailed by D Townsend; 3, Twilight sailed by M Bagwell; 4, Sea Witch sailed by P Vine; 5, Scrumpy sailed by G Lockyer; 6, Mary sailed by D Boalch; 7, Moondance sailed by E Burrows; 8, Puffin sailed by R Driver.
Winner of the Pennant by Handicap: Percy Mitchell by four seconds from Puffin.