Lyme winter base for Sidmouth’s gig Alma
Sidmouth Gig Racing Club was invited to participate at Lyme Regis in their mini fun regatta as part of the celebrations to launch their third gig Tempest.
Lyme Regis and other local clubs from the Jurassic League have all been helpful with advice on setting up the Sidmouth club so it was fitting that members went to see their new boat launched. It was built by Gail McGarva from Lyme Regis boat building academy, so a very special day for them. The crew, with the emphasis on youth and with this year’s Olympic sporting success in mind, was selected from their newly- formed junior squad (something Sidmouth are aiming to have).
Luckily Saturday saw a window of calm sea and sunshine in what had been a wet and windy week .
The racing took the form of one-mile sprints, each club submitting names, which then went into a hat and were drawn to form mixed teams. Each team rowed three races.
Success came for Mike Perrington of Sidmouth who was in the winning team. It was good rowing experience and an opportunity to learn from rowers from other clubs and a very enjoyable day was had by all.
You may also want to watch:
The next events are Falmouth Two Castles race and Helford river race in two week’s time.
From November, Lyme Regis Harbour Master and Lyme Regis Gig Club have kindly offered their facilities to accommodate Alma - Sidmouth’s training boat- to stay at Lyme Regis to provide winter rowing for Sidmouth members on Sunday mornings.
- 1 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 2 Prince Philip's legacy is guaranteed through awards scheme
- 3 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 4 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 5 Ottery retirement community with Easter thank you for keyworkers
- 6 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 7 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 8 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 9 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 10 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday