Man of the Match could have been every Tipton player
Tipton St John 5, Witheridge 0
D & E Div 1
Tipton had their first game for four weeks and went into it without a recognised goal keeper, writes Richard Williams.
Midfielder Jody Freeman stepped in to take the gloves. Tipton started off fairly well and went close twice in the first 20 minutes with effort from Glen Salter and Adam Connett. They settled and started knocking the ball around well, opening the scoring on 25 minutes with a great 25-yard shot from Neil Gooding from a central position which went over the keeper into the roof of the net. Tipton continued to dominate the game and were unlucky not to have increased their lead before half time with good efforts by Haydn Banfield, Danny Green, Ash Small and Glen Salter.
They came out for the second half and continued to run the game and increased their lead with a fine finish from the edge of the area by Danny Green. The following three minutes brought three saves from the Witheridge keeper with efforts from Ash Small, Jamie Connett and Neil Gooding. Tipton made the score 3-0 with a great first time left-foot shot from 25 yards by Adam Connett which rifled in off the goalpost.
You may also want to watch:
They increased their lead with a 25-yard thunderbolt from substitute Ade Carpenter. Tipton were awarded a penalty and Dave Strawbridge’s spot kick was well saved by the keeper, as was his follow up effort, but the ball eventually went to Adrian Small who fired home from the edge of the area to make the final score 5-0.
It was no more than Tipton deserved on a day when every player had a good claim to be Man of the Match, but the honour on this occasion went to Danny Green who scored a fine goal and had a great game both on and off the ball throughout.
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 Further improvements for Sidmouth Town FC
- 4 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 5 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 6 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 7 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 10 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead