Mansfield and Powell net as SOHC men go clear at the top of Southern One
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey Club (SOHC) men’s 1st team sit clear on top of the Southern One table after a 2-0 success over one of their rivals for the divisional top honour, Dart.
SOHC made a good start retaining possession well and controlling long periods of the first half.
Going forward, Chris Bishop was able to find space down the right side on a number of occasions. It was through this avenue that the opening goal was scored - Nick Mansfield turning in (not tapping in) a pull back from Bishop.
However, and not for the first time this season, despite playing so well, the team were unable to find finishing to match the approach and half-time arrived with the sides separated by that one goal.In the second half, SOHC continued to dominate and, with a slightly more positive edge to their game, were able to dominate both possession and territory.
The game became physical with the opposition putting in some ‘meaty’ challenges. Both sides lost a player to the sin bin – Dart, at one stage, played with nine! With 10 minutes to go SOHC wrapped up the points when George Harvey Powell netted.
You may also want to watch:
The SOHC Man of the Match award went to the impressive George Mutter.
Tomorrow (Saturday) table-topping SOHC – they hold a three points lead at the summit – head for an away fixture against East Devon, who sit eighth in the table with a current home record this term of two wins, two draws and two defeats in their six matches of far.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 5 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 6 Run for donkeys in the world’s biggest marathon
- 7 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 8 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 9 East Devon's new homes debate divides residents' opinions
- 10 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17