Mary King heading for Germany and the European Championships in confident mood
British European team member Mary King is gearing up for the European Championships later this month when she heads out to Germany.
The Olympic medallist, based near Sidmouth, revealed she will be ironing out a few minor jumping problems encountered at last weekend’s Festival of British Eventing, at Gatcombe Park, before competing at Luhmuhlen in just under three weeks time.
King’s 16.2hh chestnut gelding Apache Sauce was last weekend placed 15th after taking an early lead in the British Eventing Open Championship with a dressage score of 34.9.
The mother-of-two said knocking two fences had pushed her to jump a slower round rather than risking the horse for a lower lying placing ahead of the major competition.
She said: “He’s gone brilliantly this year. I was quite surprised to have a couple of fences down but I will work on that between now and the European Championships.”
You may also want to watch:
King said her decision to withdraw her two other rides before the cross country had been a planned move.
She said she wanted to save European team ride Imperial Cavalier, and her Lexington Kentucky winner, homebred mare Kings Temptress, for the European Championships, in Luhmuhlen, at the end of August.
- 1 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 2 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 3 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 4 Former Ottery science technician celebrates her seventieth year
- 5 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 6 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 7 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 8 Country owes a 'great debt' to The Duke of Edinburgh
- 9 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 10 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
She said: “That was the original plan when I went there.
“Kings Temptress is in reserve, if you like. I will have her in the wings just in case anything happens to Imperial Cavalier.
“Touch wood it won’t. He’s very, very well.”