Mary once more the queen of the Beer luggers
It was ideal weather for lugger racing last Monday, writes John Mortimore.
There was a fresh north west wind blowing over a calm sea with sunshine above.
It was a pursuit race. This is a race where all boats are handicapped. The luggers with the highest handicap start first and others follow at minute intervals. The race is sailed for exactly sixty minutes.
First away was the Katherine, second was Puffin and Moondance. Third was Scrumpy and Twilight followed by the Mary. Percy Mitchell was next with Cuckoo bringing up the rear.
The Katherine held the lead for the first two rounds of the race with Scrumpy and Mary beginning to catch up on her.
You may also want to watch:
As the race progressed Moondance overhauled Puffin while the Mary overtook Scrumpy.
Later the Puffin regained her lead over Moondance.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 5 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 6 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 7 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 8 Run for donkeys in the world’s biggest marathon
- 9 Festival will bring a much-needed boost to the town
- 10 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
The wind held its strength; this led to some exciting sailing. A north west wind can be a tricky wind to sail. Making the right decisions when to tack and where to tack can make the difference between winning and losing.
The Mary gradually caught up with the Katherine on the windward mark and took the lead.
Meanwhile, the Percy Mitchell came through the fleet to command second position but couldn’t catch the Mary who increased the lead and went on to win the race.
Result of the race: 1. Mary (D Boalch); 2. Percy Mitchell (K Gosling); 3. Scrumpy (G Lockyer); 4. Puffin (R Driver); 5. Cuckoo (G Dart); 6. Katherine (M Diplock); 7. Moondance (G Pook). Twilight (P Bagwell) retired.