Mary sailed to victory in Beer Luggers Chine Cup
- Credit: Archant
The lugger race last Monday evening was for the Chine Cup, writes John Mortimore.
The weather was totally different from last week’s racing. There was a moderate south east wind blowing on a choppy sea and it was cold.
Nine luggers launched from the beach and sailed out to the starting line.
The start of the race looked very good except for Sea Witch who was way behind.
Unfortunately for three luggers, the Percy Mitchell, Cuckoo and Scrumpy crossed the line too quick and were disqualified from the race. Therefore, this left six luggers racing for the cup.
You may also want to watch:
All boats sailed an easterly course for the windward buoy with the Mary arriving first with Twilight following on.
As the race continued the Mary was still on the lead to complete the first round. Twilight was some distance behind.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Hopes high that half marathon will be an annual event
- 5 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 6 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 7 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 8 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 9 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 10 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
Gradually the Sea Witch was coming through the fleet to take third position.
Mary still held first place after the second round. Sea Witch overhauled Twilight to hold second place.
Moondance crept up to join Twilight during the third round.
The Puffin found a little wind shift, made up a lot of ground and left the Katherine well behind.
All the time the Mary was increasing her lead from the rest and crossed the finishing line first.
Result of the race: 1. Mary (D Boalch); 2. Twilight (P Bagwell); 3. Moondance (G Pook); 4. Puffin (R Driver); 5. Katherine (M Diplock). Sea Witch was also disqualified.
Winner of the Chine Cup by handicap: Puffin, sailed by R Driver.