Sidmouth 3rd XV 3 , Exmouth 3rds 15
A tough tackling display by Sidmouth 3rds limited Exmouth to just three tries last Saturday which is a massive improvement on the 84-3 drubbing from earlier in the season, writes Will Holland.
Exmouth threatened from the off and with their much bigger pack, moved Sidmouth around with ease, although they had to wait a while for the first score as Sidmouth tackled everything that came at them.
With Sidmouth having to start with an all-new second row (thanks to Scott Savage and Ben Salter for filling the void) lineouts were always going to be a problem, although Sidmouth managed to front up well in the scrums. Starved of possession for long periods of the first half, Sidmouth did well to only go in at the break 10-3 down, thanks to a penalty from that man Squance and also down to some great last ditch tackles, with Alex Hill’s being the pick of a good bunch.
Sidmouth did improve after the break and secured a lot more ball, although a lot of that was poorly kicked away when the windy conditions should have meant that the ball was kept in the tight.
You may also want to watch:
Dan Coulson was back for the thirds and his awesome hitting ability meant Exmouth needed to try elsewhere to break through Sidmouth’s defence. Sidmouth went closest in the second half with Bishop and Howe the main threats but the ball was either not passed out to the wide areas or kicked away which was infuriating for captain/manager Will Holland, I can tell you! Exmouth ran in one further score in the second half. although Sidmouth did finish the game strongly but could not convert the pressure into points.
A big thank you to everyone who played, with several having to play in unfamiliar roles.
- 1 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 2 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 3 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 4 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 5 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 6 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 7 Former Ottery science technician celebrates her seventieth year
- 8 Country owes a 'great debt' to The Duke of Edinburgh
- 9 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 10 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
?This Saturday, the 3rds host Wessex 2nd team at Sidford, kick-off 2.30pm. Anyone wishing to play should contact Will Holland on 07896 840084.