Matson sails into top six berth in RORC Offshore series.
Exmouth sailor Sam Matson, who was born in Ottery St Mary, and his co-skipper Robin Elsey have been racing again over the weekend in their Artemis Figaro II.
This was in the penultimate race of the RORC Offshore series, from Cowes to a finish line off Cherbourg and started at 7pm on Friday evening. It was the last race in the series starting from the Solent.
Weatherwise, the wind was a little stronger than forecast with up to 26kts (Force 6) from a westerly direction and they had torrential rain showers with thunder and lightning - part of the unusual weather pattern the UK experienced over the weekend!
They crossed the finish line early Saturday afternoon, coming fifth in the two-handed class on corrected time, seventh in the IRC2 class and 23rd overall.
It left the pair placed third place overall in the two-handed division for the whole series.
You may also want to watch:
Matson is now training full-time with the Artemis Offshore Academy, currently based in Cowes where the training will focus on racing the Figaro solo. He will be with Artemis for a few days at the Southampton Boat Show where Artemis are offering an opportunity to ‘try-a-sail’ on one of their Figaros.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 5 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 6 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 7 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 8 Mixed weekend for Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey
- 9 Rain ruins the cricketing weekend
- 10 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council