Matt Stiling match crowds boost
Sidmouth Town football
Sidmouth Town beat Sidbury 5-1 in the annual Matt Stiling memorial match in which Jason Stiling stood in as goalkeeper for the winners.
“We went about the game in good style and both clubs managed to play in good spirit despite some of the ‘hysteria’ that builds up when ever Sidmouth and Sidbury play each other,” said Sidmouth manager Paul Ashford.
Goals were scored by Ben Cole, Andy Isaac, Andrew Thomson, Kev Dorman and Ian Mortimore.
Sidmouth are still pacing the sidelines in league and cup action as they have a bye in the first round of the East Devon cups taking place this weekend and were scheduled to meet University when the league starts on September 4 - but, of course, the students won’t be back by then.
You may also want to watch:
Sidmouth’s first match will be against Alphington at home on September 11.
They will turn a side out to play Cullompton in an under-lights friendly on Tuesday as Ashford is desperate to get some match practice into the team.
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 Further improvements for Sidmouth Town FC
- 4 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 7 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 8 Golfing season underway at Sidmouth GC
- 9 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 10 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
The reserves play this Saturday home to Bampton in the Bill Slee Cup.