Meadham try seals Sidmouth IIs victory over Brixham

Sidmouth 3rds were at home to Cullompton at the weekend. Ref shsp 10-16AW 0048. Picture: Alex Walton

Sidmouth 3rds were at home to Cullompton at the weekend. Ref shsp 10-16AW 0048. Picture: Alex Walton - Credit: Archant

Sidmouth Quins notched up their second Merit Table win of the season against a strong Brixham team in a very entertaining game, emerging victoriuos to the tune of a 29-24 score line, writes Terry O’Brien.

Enjoying perfect spring conditions, both teams played enterprising rugby, with the result decided in the last move of the game.

The visitors made a strong start with early pressure inside the Sidmouth 22. The Quins defended well and eventually worked their way into the Brixham half. When a clearance kick failed to find touch, Luke Wells-Burr fielded the ball just inside his own half and set off on a run into the opposing 22. As the cover closed in, he found Sam Meadham in support to run in under the posts. The try was converted by Harry Rumens.

With the sides well-matched, play moved from end to end until Brixham capitalised on a dropped pass to launch a counterattacking move finished off by the right winger. The fly half added the conversion to level the scores.

The Quins regained the lead when the backs and forwards combined to take the ball through several phases. Harry Rumens broke from the base of a ruck just inside the Brixham 22 and offloaded to Tom Seward, who dived over wide out.

You may also want to watch:

In the last minute of the half, Brixham equalised when a forward drove over following a quick tap penalty near ther line. The try was unconverted leaving the scores level at 12-12 at halftime.

The Quins started the second half with a good handling move to set up Tom Seward for a run into the opposing 22. However, it was Brixham who dominated for much of the third quarter. They added two tries. The first came from a lineout catch-and-drive play and the second was created by a superb run by the full back and finished off by the left winger. The conversion gave them a twelve point lead.

Most Read

The Quins hit back with two tries in quick succession from right winger Luke Wells-Burr. The first came from a good handling move following a quick tap penalty inside the Brixham 22. Harry Rumens converted. The second started with a turnover at a breakdown on halfway. Joe Herbert made ground on the blindside before sending the winger on a clear run to the line. The scores were now level with ten minutes to play.

In the last minute, the Quins won a lineout 30 metres from the Brixham line. The ball was moved along the backline and Tom Seward made the initial break for Sam Meadham to finish off with a sprint down the right touchline. The unsuccessful conversion attempt was followed by the final whistle.

On Saturday the Chiefs travel to Okehampton.

The Blackmore Field will stage a double header with the Colts kicking off at noon against Silcoates School. This will be followed at 3pm by the Quins against Okehampton 2nds.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus