Men aim for win hat-trick

PUBLISHED: 14:52 09 December 2011

Sidmouth 1st's v Bristol. Charlie Plowden. Picture by Paul Clayden

Sidmouth 1st's v Bristol. Charlie Plowden. Picture by Paul Clayden

© Paul Clayden 2010

OPM 1 Sidmouth HC Men’s 1st XI 2

Sidmouth travelled to Plymouth to play OPM looking to end a winless streak on the road dating back over 18 months, writes Jon Pike.

In order to try to cure Sidmouth’s travel sickness, captain Ian Brown ordered the team to meet in Plymouth 1½ hours before the start in order to fully prepare for the game. This decision looked to have backfired when stalwart Scott Rowson was caught napping in his own D, handing the OPM centre forward the simplest of chances to open the scoring after just 10 minutes.

On previous away trips an early goal would have led to heavy defeat but Sidmouth responded creating a series of chances with Jon Pike and Andrew Welch missing good opportunities. Welch did however bring Sidmouth level with a cleverly disguised short corner.

In the second half Sidmouth took control of the game with Pete Baker and Dan Devine finding plenty of room down the flanks and Rowson and Ian Brown controlling the game from the back. However, Sidmouth had to wait until five minutes from time for the winner when Welch ghosted in to the D and finished smartly. Sidmouth managed to hold for a vital win. Credit must go to Charlie Plowden for showing all his maturity in dealing with some very vocal home supporters.

This week, Sidmouth aim to make it three wins from three at home to Minehead.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Sidmouth Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Sidmouth Herald