Milmer nets as SOHC men’s third team are narrowly beaten at Chard
Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey Club (SOHC) men’s third team were beaten 3-1 at Chard B in a South East Two meeting.
With illness accounting for several players' absence in the men's section, the team travelled with a bare 11 and, in wet and damp conditions, they gave their all, but against them were a home side that was able to call on the services of a squad of 16 and so rotate their team throughout the contest.
Early on, SOHC competed well and applied some pressure on the Chard defence and went close to scoring on a few occasions, but it was the home side that took the lead with a good passing move ending in a goal.
The thirds continued to compete well, but could not make their pressure count, despite having several short corners.
Only one down at half-time, the side aimed to get something from the match but fell two behind early in the second half.
You may also want to watch:
And, while playing conditions were still not great, there was some good determined play.
This resulted in another short corner from which Peter Milmer grabbed a goal back.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 4 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 5 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 6 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 7 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 8 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 9 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 10 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
SOHC did have other chances, but solid defending from Chard kept them at bay.
The home side scored one more from a swift passing move and so it ended 3-1.