Mixed fortunes for Sidmouth Town Under-9s in Twyford tussles
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Warriors Under-9s had mixed fortunes in meetings with teams from Twyford Spartans, writes Justin Ashby.
First up they secured a single goal success over Twyford Madrid, but it was a game they made hard work of winning by not converting a host of chances they created!
A high-quality first half ended with no goals at either end. Home nerves were settled quickly after the break when Joe Ashby applied the finishing touch with a great header to a super cross from Jamie Salter.
The Warriors created enough chances to win three games, but had to settle for a 1-0 victory.
Next up they took on Twyford Barcelona who went into the game having lost just once this season. They were a both well-drilled and physically strong.
You may also want to watch:
It was the Warriors though, that bossed the opening 10 minutes, with some excellent, high-tempo attacking football. However, against the run of play, Barca claimed two well-taken goals.
The Warriors showed a lot of character in hitting back almost instantly with two of their own, from Bradley Hill and Ben Chapman.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 3 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 4 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 5 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 6 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 7 Art shop thanks customers who have shown support
- 8 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
The game was there for the taking, but in an even second half, it was Barca that snatched the winning goal. A defeat that was difficult to take for boys and coaches alike!