Moore impresses on Sidmouth Chiefs debut

Honiton 2nds at home to Exeter Eng. Ref mhsp 41-16TI 9438. Picture: Terry Ife

Honiton 2nds at home to Exeter Eng. Ref mhsp 41-16TI 9438. Picture: Terry Ife - Credit: Archant

The Chiefs made it one-all for the season against Cullompton and progressed to the second round of the Devon Senior Cup beating the Mid Devon side 17-9 at the Blackmore, writes Terry O’Brien.

A try count of three to none seems comfortable, but the result was in the balance until five minutes from the end of normal time.

In a game that was otherwise evenly balanced, the Chiefs superior finishing abiity was the decisive factor as they conjured up three tries of top quality.

Conversly, Cullompton could not find a way through a much-improved Sidmouth defence.

The Chiefs started in promising fashion with a move in which backs and forwards combined through many phases covering 60 metres before it was brought to an end. However, it was the visitors, who opened the scoring in the 12th minute with a penalty struck by the inside centre.

You may also want to watch:

Once again, a high penalty count at the breakdowns would prove to be an achillies heel, which enabled Cullompton to keep in touch throughout the game.

The Chiefs response was a spectacular try. Harry Chesterton, making his first appearance of the season, broke through with a powerful burst at inside centre and found Rory O’Brien in support to outpace the cover in a 60 metre diagonal run to the left corner. The try was unconverted.

Most Read

A second try soon followed. The hardworking Sidmouth back row of Josh Bess, Gavin Pearson and Max Moore were all involved in a move of good continuity as the ball was progressed through many phases into the Cullompton 22, where a Luke Wells-Burr sidestep wrongfooted the defence as he cut through to touch down near the posts. Dan Retter added the conversion.

The remainder of the half was a scappy affair, played out mainly between the 22 metre lines. The score remained 12-3 at halftime.

The game continued in similar untidy fashion for much of the second half. Cullompton enjoyed the better of the territorial advantage. Though they rarely looked like achieving a decisive break through, they chipped away at the Sidmouth lead with two more successful penalty kicks.

With five minutes to go on the clock, the Chiefs eased the pressure, when Tom Whelan found Luke Wells-Burr in space on the right wing with a long cut out pass. The wingman outpaced the cover to score in the corner. The conversion attempt was unsuccessful, but Cullompton now needed two scores.

Wells-Burr was soon in action at the other end of the field as Cullompton staged a spirited finale. They played their most effective rugby of the game, forcing the wingman to make two try-saving tackles. Max Moore also produced a similar last-ditch effort, which kept the line intact, before the relief of the final whistle.

On Saturday the Chiefs return to league action, when they entertain Torquay Athletic at the Blackmore Field. The kick off is at 2.30pm.

The Quins travel to Bideford and the Colts are at Exmouth.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus