Moore’s late strike sees SOHC men’s 1st XI seal promotion to Conference South
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey Club (SOHC) men’s 1st XI sealed promotion to Conference South – and brought the Southern One title that little bit closer – as they defeated Dart 2-1.
Despite making a good start, SOHC fell behind, albeit very much against the run of play.
However, with half-time approaching, parity was restored when Lee Clayden slotted home a well-worked short corner.
During the interval there was passionate address made to the team by John Mutter and the side looked sharper after the break.
However, for all their possession and territorial dominance, what was lacking was a clinical finish in the final third! Indeed, SOHC so nearly fell behind again when a drag from a Dart short corner crashed into the crossbar causing confusion in the circle!
You may also want to watch:
It began to look very much as if it might be ‘one of those days’, especially when, with a few minutes remaining, a powerful cross by Henry Mutter eluded the stick of Nick Mansfield by inches!
However, cometh the hour, cometh the man and, in the closing moments, when the ball arrived at the back post, there, in the right place and very much at the right time, was Max Moore to turn it home, winning the game, sealing promotion and taking the side into a final day winner-takes-the-title meeting with Taunton Vale!
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 3 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 4 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 5 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 6 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 7 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 8 Art shop thanks customers who have shown support
- 9 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 10 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution