Mud loving U11s battle in the mud
Bradninch 3, STJV U11s Raiders 3,
The torrential rain couldn’t dampen the spirits of Sidmouth’s favourite youth team, writes Simon James.
The match started hard with a big push from the Bradninch forwards, only to be outclassed by seasoned Glen Sinker and Ben Scrivens who pushed back. Sidmouth then demonstrated some classy passing from Scot DeGruchy, Scot Gibson and Col Monaghan making a brave attempt on the Bradninch defence.
After some hard end-to-end play a lone Bradninch striker poached the first of two goals before halftime.
Sidmouth back came on, fired up, and within a few moments Ollie Jones’ cross allowed Finley Morgan to score Sidmouth’s first.
You may also want to watch:
Bradninch were spooked by Sidmouth’s new-found confidence and Cole Monaghan scored again for the Raiders.
By now the pitch was bordering on unplayable but still the two teams fought hard in the mud. Sidmouth conceded once more and again the fight back came with a cheeky back heel shot to level the scores. Goalkeeper Isaac James was kept busy during this hard and well-fought game.
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 3 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 4 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 5 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
- 6 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 7 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 8 Lockdown has shown the importance of nature and the need for us to nurture each other
- 9 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 10 Joma Devon & Exeter League results and fixtures
Both teams’ supporters and parents showed their support and encouragement at the blow of the final whistle.