Murray bags six wicket haul in win over Torquay
- Credit: Archant
Will Murray claimed six wickets as Sidmouth bagged a second successive victory in Tolchards Devon League Premier Division outings with a 73-run Fortfield win over Torquay.
Not for the first time this season, Sidmouth were bowled out for a sub 200 total, but the 168 score they did post, proved more than enough to secure an 18 point haul as the bowlers combined to bowl the visitors out for just 95 in 28 overs.
The bulk of the Sidmouth runs came from number four batsman Zac Bess, who hit a splendid half century, and number five Matt Cooke, scored 42. The pair came together at 35-3 ands steadied the ship, adding 90 runs for the fourth wicket.
However, the only other batsmen to get into double figures were opener Josh Bess and number six Dan Powell who both scored 16 and the final total was boosted by 30 extras.
Just four bowlers were used by Sidmouth to seal a comfortable victory. Josh Bess and Nick Mansfield took the new ball duties and Mansfield made the breakthrough when Torquay had just nine runs on the board with Dan Powell holding the first of two catches.
You may also want to watch:
Mansfield finished with figures of 2-18 from his four overs and Bess returned figures of 1-25 from a full shift of 10 overs.
It was first change Will Murray who did the damage as he replaced Mansfield and sent down 10 overs, four of which were maidens, and his six wickets (four were catches, one was a stumping and one clean bowled), were bagged for the cost of just 28 runs.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 4 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 5 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 6 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 7 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 8 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 9 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 10 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
The fourth bowler used was Charlie Miles (0-5 from two overs).
The win lifts Sidmouth out of the bottom two with North Devon slipping into the relegation slots.
The Tolchards League season reaches the one-third mark of the campaign this coming Saturday (June 10) when they entertain Exmouth at Fortfield.
The game is set to start earlier than usual after a request from the Devon county XI management so that they can get the players together earlier on Saturday evening for the long trip to Lincolnshire for a big Sunday game.