Mylne at the double as SOHC Ladies II avoid the Petroc drop
- Credit: Archant
Dawlish 2, SOHC Ladies II 6 SOHC ladies’ had to twice come from behind before bagging the victory that ensured they would start next season once again in the Petroc Division One.
Playing on the newly laid pitch at Dawlish against the section’s basement dwellers, SOHC made an indifferent start and fell behind early on to an own goal!
The response was both swift and clinical as a well worked short corner routine was converted when Rachael Down was first to react to the rebound from Karen Dutton’s strike, lifting the ball over the goalkeeper.
The home team looked slick on the counter-attack and they restored their lead with a shot that first struck the post and then clipped the back of keeper Hope’s kicker to trickle over the line!
The teams played on when a hail-shower struck, and SOHC levelled through Anna Bowker and then took a 3-2 lead into half time through Karen Dutton.
You may also want to watch:
After the break SOHC took charge and extended their advantage, first courtesy of another Dutton and then a brace from a very determined Helen Mylne, who showed great maturity with one of her goals when she lifted the ball up and over the advancing keeper.
There was a blow for SOHC when Jess Allen, who had a fine game in defence, took a bad fall and was unable to continue.
- 1 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 2 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 3 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 4 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 5 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 6 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 7 Talking Newspapers set to restart service
- 8 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 9 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 10 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
There was relief all round at the final whistle with SOHC’s place in the division confirmed for another year with still one match to play.