New cycle group in Ottery
Ottery St Mary is the base for a new group which hopes to attract like-minded road cyclists to enjoy riding the area, with the odd challenge thrown in.
Less a club and more a semi-serious bunch with keen eye on a good coffee and cake stop halfway around, the ‘no wicker baskets’ are planning a 48-mile ride on July 15, starting from the Land of Canaan car park in Ottery St Mary at 9am.
Spokesman Mark Moore said: “There are plenty of clubs in the area for the Cavendish, Wiggins or Sir Chris wannabes.. At the moment there are four of us aged between 40 and 50 (just!) and we usually average about 50 miles on a Saturday, building up if we are doing any longer rides.
“We've completed the FORCE 100 mile ride, the Exmoor Beast and Beauty, Prostate Cancer Tour of Britain Ride, The Dragon and New Forest 100k. We will average between 14 and 15 mph and always build in a coffee and cake or bacon sandwich stop to have a chat and debate about the direction of the next leg of the ride.”
“There are a growing number of road cyclists in the Ottery St Mary area who don their lycra and disappear on a Saturday or Sunday either alone for a bit of piece and solitude or in a small group of mates in order to train for the next sportive/big ride, or indeed to burn off the previous night’s curry or make space for the roast lunch!
You may also want to watch:
“I know I'm one of them!”
?If you are interested in joining in contact Mark Moore on 07540 251343 or visit www.facebook.com/osmcycling
- 1 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 2 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 3 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 4 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 5 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 6 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 7 Country owes a 'great debt' to The Duke of Edinburgh
- 8 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 9 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 10 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman