New era at Ottery FC
OTTERY Football Club s new chairman wants to herald in an era of local teams pulling together to benefit one another.
OTTERY Football Club's new chairman wants to herald in an era of local teams "pulling together" to benefit one another.
Brian Barnden was elected into the role at an extraordinary general meeting last Friday, and has set his sights on appointing a manager and treasurer at the club.
Mr Barnden said he was excited and "looking forward to the challenge."
"My main aim is to make Ottery a competitive SWPL side within the financial constraints of the club," he told the Herald.
You may also want to watch:
"We have several users of the (Butts Road) site such as Tipton and Ottery Youth. The objective is to make sport more pleasant up there for all of them, and pulling together in the same direction so we all benefit."
Arthur Murdock was elected vice chairman and Clare Walker took over as secretary from Alison Gannon on a temporary basis.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 3 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 4 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Joma Devon and Exeter League Weekend Fixtures
- 7 Try tennis for FREE at Sidford Tennis Club
- 8 Sidmouth Ladies restart with a golf comp
- 9 New exhibition features Sidmouth view
- 10 Sidmouth in Bloom seating project full of civic pride
A new committee was also elected, as re-standing members were joined by new additions. Representatives from Tipton St John FC and Ottery Youth will also sit on the committee.
Former Ottery FC chairman Greg Layzell stood down after three years in charge.
"If people hadn't come forward then we'd have had a problem," he said.
"I'm relieved and happy that someone else has taken it on and the club is still moving forward."
He thanked the committee, its officers and managers who helped him during his tenure, adding: "I wish them well for the future."
The club is now on the lookout for a manager and treasurer. Anyone interested in filling the vacancies can contact Brian on 07891 243944.
Ottery St Mary Reserves have pulled out of the Devon and Exeter League but the first team will continue to play in the Peninsula League.