Newbery goal sets up Sidmouth Under-15s for win over Moors
Sidmouth 3, Moors 1 Sidmouth Under-15s took to the pitch for their first action in almost two months and deserved their victory over the Tiverton-based visitors.
Sidmouth began well putting the Moors defence under pressure with some good flowing football, but their dominance didn’t turn into goals with good chances being spurned.
The deadlock was finally broken when a Connor Murphy corner was met by skipper Jamie Newbery and his header beat the visiting gloves man with the aid of a. Substitute Tom Orchard soon made it two after good work from Jonny Dunn and Alex Stone.
Sidmouth were totally dominant in the run up to the interval with Tyler Wellman and the influential Jacob Rowe pulling the strings, but no further goals were forthcoming.
After the break, with the wind their favour, Moors pressed the Sidmouth defence, but got little change out of the home defence of Newbery, Al Forsyth, Dylan King and keeper Jake Sellick.
You may also want to watch:
However, the deficit was halved when the ball was not cleared and a Moors player thumped it home.
As the Mid Devon side pressed for an equaliser Sidmouth sealed the points with a fine goal.
- 1 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 2 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 3 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 4 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 5 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 6 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 7 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
- 8 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 9 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 10 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
Joe Miller threaded a fine ball through to Rowe and he wriggled clear of his marker before firing into the net to complete the scoring.