Newbery shows his leadership skills with slick performance wearing Town arm band
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Town boss Josh Stunnell got the improved performance he was looking for against visiting Teignmouth, but it wasn’t enough to avoid a 2-0 defeat.
Jamie Newbery was given the captain’s armband as the management believed the teenage centre-back would thrive under the responsibility.
Newbery put in a terrific performance that saw him perform at an even higher than normal level, dominant and vocal throughout, with natural leadership skills.
The talented Newbery was a class above on the day.
Sidmouth started well with Matt Clenahan and Ryan Davies providing bags of energy in the midfield as they kept former Exeter City pro Geoff Breslan at bay.
You may also want to watch:
On 15 minutes, Cameron Vere thought he had scored; after curling a terrific effort goal wards the shot took a deflection and looked over the line. The back-pedalling Teigns keeper hooked the ball away to safety.
Against the run of play Teignmouth were awarded a soft free-kick 20 yards out after Ben Farrington was deemed to have challenged for the ball illegally. Breslan showed some real class by whipping the ball into the goal, 0-1.
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 6 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 7 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 8 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 9 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 10 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
Sidmouth created numerous of chances with Vere and Jamie Orchard testing the home keeper.
On the 35th the minute the visitors were awarded a penalty after Matt Colson left a lazy leg out and tripped the attacking forward. Breslen smashed the penalty past Alex Bowring.
Twenty seconds into the second half Sidmouth were denied a goal by a scrambled clearance on the Teignmouth line. Newbery should have scored on 70 minutes when Tyler Wellman delivered a fabulous corner, which the unmarked skipper at the far post headed wide.
Teignmouth had a couple of speculative efforts that Bowring fielded well.
When Sidmouth cleared a corner, the ball broke to Swingler who went to pass to the unmarked Joe Gosse who was 18 yards out of goal.
Swingler fluffed his shot and the ball was cleared.
Sidmouth are at home to Totnes and Dartington this Saturday.
There is bank holiday action for Town too as they are due to visit bottom side Okehampton Argyle.
And on Wednesday night the Vikings are back at Manstone to face Exwick Villa (6.45pm).