Newton Poppleford and Harpford TC unveil new courts
Newton Poppleford and Harpford Tennis Club’s court reopening and open day went ahead on Sunday, despite the weather not playing ball.
The courts were officially reopened following an �18,000 resurfacing programme. Club veteran Margaret Tyler and four-year-old Nicole De Gruchy were given the honour of cutting the ribbon together to officially let play start, cheered on by around 40 rather damp onlookers.
Due to the weather the open day was held in the pavilion and, after club chairman Chris Burhop had taken the opportunity to thank the many people and organisations who had contributed to the resurfacing project, there was an opportunity to warm up with free hot drinks and refreshments, plus some free mini tennis. The lucky winners of the club’s Wimbledon ticket draw were also announced.
Earlier in the day, the club had been presented with a cheque for �2,000 from the Otter Vale Rotary Association towards the costs of the refurbishments.
The club, which is believed to be 65 years old this year, is now looking forward to hosting as much tennis as the weather will allow.
You may also want to watch:
?For further information about the club including details of membership, call Chris Burhop on 01395 568766 or go to www.newtonpopplefordtennis.co.uk
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 5 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 6 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 7 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 8 The more we work together the better it will be
- 9 I want seafront cafe and restaurant to be something Exmouth can be proud of
- 10 Future housing may be destined for out of town sites