Newton Poppleford edged out by University
- Credit: Archant
Newton Poppleford were edged out by the odd goal in five in their Fresha League Three meeting with University.
The Popples went into the contest in high spirits having won their previous two outings – both in cup competitions.
However, University teams are renowned throughout the league for their fitness and ability to retain possession and this student XI was no exception!
Popples fielded an unchanged team and matched the University in all areas during the early exchanges.
It was with an element of good fortune that the students took a 20th minute lead when a Popples’ defender cleared the ball only for it to cannon off a University striker and end up in the back of the net!
You may also want to watch:
That proved to be the only goal of a closely contested first half. After the break Popples stepped up the pace, working hard to close the ball down and it was no more than they deserved when Matt Rasmussen restored parity from the penalty spot.
The students regained the lead in the 70th minute and added to it after capitalising on a goalkeeping error.
- 1 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 2 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 3 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 4 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 5 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 6 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 7 Talking Newspapers set to restart service
- 8 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 9 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 10 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
However, Popples have plenty of character this season and they were soon back in the contest thanks to a goal from substitute Brad Marles who marked his first appearance for the side with a slick finish.
Popples pressed forward in search of a third and came mighty close when, from one of many late corners, a Rasmussen header clipped the bar!
On Saturday Newton Poppleford travel to Topsham Town Reserves.