Newton Poppleford held by Axmouth in pre-season game
- Credit: Archant
Newton Poppleford began their pre-season campaign with an entertaining draw against Axmouth United in a midweek encounter, writes Jordan Cooper.
Newton Poppleford, formerly Colaton Raleigh, took the lead midway through the first half from Zak Harwood following good work from Mark Tett. Jake Boyland added a quick-fire second minutes later, firing low past the Axmouth ‘keeper.
With a two-goal advantage at the interval, spirits were high among the players, but the home side fought back in the second half.
Having only recently recruited enough players to field a side, lack of match fitness started to show amongst the Newton Pop players.
As the game moved into the final third Axmouth found the net following two successive corners.
You may also want to watch:
Both sides had chances to win it, but an even game played in good spirit ended 2-2.
Newton Poppleford are hoping to arrange one or two more games before getting the season underway at Elmore on August 24.
- 1 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 2 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 3 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 4 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 5 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 6 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 7 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 8 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge