Newton Poppleford looking to change fortunes as pre-season gets underway
- Credit: Archant
Newton Poppleford enter the 2014/15 season in great spirits despite a disastrous debut campaign in Division One, writes Jordan Cooper.
The Popples lost every single game, scoring 16 and conceding a staggering 161 games across the season, with relegation confirmed long before the final whistle was blown.
Wiping the slate clean and starting afresh in Division Two, manager Cliff Cooper has a positive mentality despite expectations that the side will once again struggle to match the quality of opposition.
He said: “It was a tough season but we are all motivated to go again and improve ourselves.
“Hopefully we will be able to get in a few more players to give us a boost as there are a few areas where we are playing people out of position every week – we would like a consistent squad each match.”
You may also want to watch:
Pre-season training has started and takes place at 6:30pm on Tuesday and Thursday nights at the playing fields in the village – all players are welcome.
The side have a small four game friendly schedule starting on August 2, against Woodbury ahead of the league opener later in the month.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 6 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 7 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 8 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 9 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 10 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford