Newton Poppleford Reserves good value for opening day win at Lapford
- Credit: Archant
Newton Poppleford began a new Macron Devon and Exeter League season with a splendid 2-1 win at Lapford.
It was Lapford who pipped the Popples to the title by just one point last season so this victory was a very sweet one!
Popples, with a number of new faces in their side, started well and had the better of long periods of the first half. Only the depth of the crossbar denied Matt Brown a spectacular first goal of the new season when he rifled the ball towards goal from 35-yards out! Just before the break some poor communication between centre back and glovesman let in a home player to fire Lapford into a 1-0 interval lead.
After the break Popples found a higher gear and bossed much of the second half. Ten minutes after the restart Curt Winchombe was tripped in the area and Jack Aldridge stepped up to drill the spot kick home.
Looking to freshen things up, Popples turned to their bench and introduced Mark Gerry and Brad Marles. Both made instant impressions and it was no surprise that the pair had a say in the winning goal with Marles ultimately latching onto a ball from Tett to run on and apply a cool finish.
You may also want to watch:
This Saturday (September 3), Newton Poppleford first team visit Pinhoe and the Reserve’s are also away when they visit Upottery Reserves.
- 1 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 2 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 3 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 4 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 5 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 6 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 7 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 8 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival