O’Connor at the double in Sidmouth Warriors U11s win
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Warriors Under-11s made a winning start to 2019 as they won their Exeter and District Youth League match at Copplestone 3-1.
After a one-hour car journey to the host club, Warriors were forced to start with eight players owing to the late arrival of two of their number.
Five minutes in, the ‘late pair’ turned up and so Warriors were quickly back to a full complement of players.
With the back three of Taylan Jones, Oscar Finch and Laurence Coles forming a solid line, Warriors looked confident with, and without, the ball in the early exchanges. They were a whisker away from taking an early lead when an Ollie Gibbins shot flashed wide and then Edward Roles went close before the opening goal did arrive.
It came after some great work on the right from Lucas Vicary and, when he found Lucas O’Connor, the youngster beat his man before drilling a left foot shot into the bottom corner of the net. Two minutes later the lead was doubled and again O’Connor was the scorer.
You may also want to watch:
Just before half-time, Warriors goalkeeper Jamie White made a superb initial save, but was then beaten by a quick-thinking home player and the players trooped off at the break with the one goal separating them.
The second half saw some terrific end-to-end play and Dylan Robbins headed just wide before, during a scramble in the home goalmouth, Ethan Isaac thumped the ball home to seal a splendid success for Warriors.
- 1 Dom Bess representing Sidmouth in Sri Lanka
- 2 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 3 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 4 Safety, security and sustainability at Sidmouth Town
- 5 Sid Vale Association marks its 175th anniversary
- 6 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 7 Fishing vessel rescued by Exmouth RNLI
- 8 "Whoever you are, the county council will almost certainly play some role in your everyday life"
- 9 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 10 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
All 10 players on duty played their part in a terrific team performance and the Man of the Match award went to the richly deserving Oscar Finch.