O’Connor nets as Sidmouth Raiders Under-1s give Brixington the Blues
Sidmouth Raiders 1, Brixington Blues 0 Sidmouth Raiders Under-10s turned on the style to claim a richly deserved clean sheet success, writes Paul Bennett.
In what was one of the final competitive matches of the season for the team they began brightly with the effervescent Freddie Dorman linking well with goal-scoring machine, Josh O’Connor.
Raiders dominated possession whilst any threat the opposition posed was quickly snuffed out by the defenders; captain Jack Goodman and Yan Mercan.
Onm the rare occasion that the Exmouth side did get through they found an alert and positive Ollie Keast in the Raiders goal.
In midfield Frank Long was energetic, constantly passing and probing and not afraid to put in a timely tackle when needed. Second half substitute Reuben Bennett was solid and effective whilst Alex Bennett was a constant thorn in the side of the Brixington defence before injury led to his premature departure from the game.
You may also want to watch:
The winning goal arrived when Owen Baldwin, who had just returned after a spell on the bench, launched a long throw deep into the Blues penalty area and it fell invitingly to young O’Connor who made no mistake from close range to secure Raiders a fine victory.
- 1 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 2 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 3 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 4 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 5 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 6 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 7 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 8 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 9 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 10 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'