Offa’s twisted Wye Kanter
- Credit: Archant
Looking forward to a relaxing weekend at home soon came to an end for Sidmouth Running Club member Carine Silver after receiving a phone call from her sister, writes Terry Bewes.
She had two entries for the Offa’s Twisted Wye Kanter one each for her and her son, unfortunately her son had to pull out at the last minute so who better to replace him than your sister.
There are four courses on this self-navigation run, 24, 19, 15 and 12.5 miles. They had entered the 19 mile.
This is a new and exciting winter kanter with a ‘twist’ in the beautiful Wye Valley on the Wales/England border.
The event uses established long distance routes such as Offa’s Dyke, Wye Valley Walk and Gloucestershire Way as well as paths to link main routes. The twist is that in order to earn your certificate, clues need to be gathered and solved en route.
You may also want to watch:
You have to have the confidence to self-navigate as there are no checkpoints and carry sufficient food and drink for your chosen mileage.
Tea and toast is provided at the start in Chepstow. Carine said it was very, very muddy and hilly and at 19 miles a couple of miles shorter than the Grizzly, but it took her two hours longer to complete.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 5 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 6 Demand for properties in Sidmouth is high as South West becomes more desirable
- 7 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 8 Hopes high that half marathon will be an annual event
- 9 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 10 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
However on their return to Chepstow there was a substantial hot meal and hospitality laid on for them and the news that they were joint fourth home on this route. Just the news she needed for the long drive home after a very tiring day.