Oldies win prizes!
There were some fine performances by Sidmouth Running club members in Exmouth on Sunday in the two-lap, five-mile street course that is the Fulfords Great West 5, writes Colin Flood.
The gale force winds whistling down Victoria Street turned to tail winds for the all-important seafront sections, as Zac Francis briefly led the 200 starters in the early stages.
He paid the price for a little youthful over-exuberance as the pack caught up, but he still finished in a creditable 64th place.
Milan Goc was again the first Sidmouth runner home, in 20th place, and Sarah Brown (151st), who only started competing eight months ago and gets faster by the week, extended her lead over mum Louise(173rd) to three minutes at the finish.
But while the youngsters may have grabbed the limelight, it was the oldies who carried off the prizes, in this case vouchers from Ironbridge Runner. John Perratt (99th) and Mick Allen (122nd) were second and third in their age group, while Colin Flood (85th) and Brian Gosling (121st) were first and third in theirs. Phil Smith (105th) edged in between them all.
You may also want to watch:
There was some confusion over the purpose of the finishers’ souvenirs - see picture right.
Some thought it was a snood for people with very small heads, others that – being Exmouth – it was a desert device for keeping sand off the face, while John Perratt thought you tied a knot in it and wore it in bed.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 3 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 4 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 5 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 6 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 7 Joma Devon & Exeter League Results
- 8 Sidmouth music man raises thousands-of-pounds for cancer charity
- 9 New exhibition features Sidmouth view
- 10 Future housing may be destined for out of town sites
Great West 5 times: Milan Goc 30.36, Zac Francis 35.17, Colin Flood 37.25, John Perratt 39.08, Phil Smith 39.32, Brian Gosling 40.31, Mick Allen 40.52, Sarah Brown 44.11, Louise Brown 47.08.
This Sunday sees the Four Trigs run in Sidmouth.