On a par with top side Kings
Kingsbridge 30, Sidmouth Colts 21
Sidmouth Colts travelled to Kingsbridge with a few players unavailable but were still able to field a strong side and, right from the kick off, showed their intent to throw the ball around and create a fast flowing game, writes Lee Sowden.
Had the final passes gone to hand the score line would have been a different story. Sidmouth were first to score when quick ruck ball through the phases got them pressurising the Kingsbridge line. Kingsbridge turned the ball over only for the clearance kick to be charged down by Xenon Kearns who went over for his 1st Colts’ try; Ben Ward converted.
Kingsbridge pounced straight back to equalise; they used their effective back row to attack around the fringes where Sidmouth were struggling to defend. They broke through to equal the scores, followed by a Kingsbridge penalty and another try and conversion.
Sidmouth made every attempt to play open rugby but Kingsbridge read their game plan well and scored twice from interceptions. The second half started with Kingsbridge scoring again, this time from a quick tap penalty. Sidmouth came back into the game with a couple of well worked tries, the first scored out wide by Charlie Cotton, the second from a line out on the five metre line where a catch and drive was grounded by Jack Sowden, both were converted by Ben Ward.
You may also want to watch:
Kingsbridge are a well-drilled, top side and, on their day, Sidmouth can compete with them.
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 4 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 5 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 6 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 7 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 10 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead