Onaki heads brace as Sidmouth thirds net derby win over Ottery St Mary Reserves
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth thirds claimed a third win of the Fresha League season when they defeated Ottery St Mary 2-1.
Sidmouth looked well-organised in the opening exchanges and bossed much of the first 20 minutes displaying slick passing and excellent movement on, and off, the ball.
However, their nemesis this season to date has been an inability to apply a finish when on top, and it reared its ugly head again in this contest!
They did despatch one opportunity when Arnie Onaki headed home a James Hiscox cross. The lead did not last long as Ottery were quickly level with a goal of genuine class from Dan Gill.
There followed a period of end-to-end football with both sides creating, and spurring, further opportunities before a well-flighted Hiscox corner was powerfully headed home by Onaki.
You may also want to watch:
The Otters threw everything they had in a bid to find a second goal, but Sidmouth stood firm to see the game out.
There were a number of fine individual performances, particularity from Adam Bartlett, Ollie Pinnock and Sam Marriott, but the Man of the Match was deservedly taken by Arnie Onaki who had been a reluctant centre-half on the day, but defended with purpose and of course headed those two match-winning goals.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 5 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 6 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 7 Run for donkeys in the world’s biggest marathon
- 8 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 9 Festival will bring a much-needed boost to the town
- 10 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
Saturday sees Sidmouth in more home action at Sidford with Sandford the visitors.