Otters face tough test in cup at Exeter
- Credit: Archant
Ottery St Mary head into A and S Paving Devon Intermediate Cup action on Saturday and they face a tough task as they travel to face Whipton and Pinhoe, writes Steve Birley.
The Exeter side are in terrific form this term, having won all eleven of their league and cup matches to date, scoring a whopping 78 goals.
They have only kept three clean sheets and conceded 14 goals, including four in their most recent outings, a 4-3 league win at home to Winkleigh and a 4-1 success at Ilminster Reserves.
The Otters go into the game having just won back-to-back games and they have been beaten just once since an extra-time Football Express Cup defeat to Sandford on September 5, a result they avenged with a 2-0 win over the Mid Devon men last weekend.
Otter’s boss Mike Dawe says: “We are as ready and prepared as we can be. Last Saturday everything began to fall into place and we can go to Exeter for the cup tie with real ambition. Of course, it’s going to be difficult. They (Whipton and Pinhoe) have been knocking teams over for fun and will obviously feel it’s a game they can win. But that also stands for us now that we are beginning to click into gear.”
You may also want to watch:
Dawe has done his homework on the opposition and says: “Their Hamlin Lane pitch is tight and so we’ll adapt accordingly. I intend to use the versatility and guile of Matt Daly alongside James Gosney in the centre of a four-man midfield. This is a game I am sure the players will need no motivating for. It’s a chance for them to show what they are made of and I am very confident that they will do just that. We have arrived in November in the form and shape I had foreseen in pre-season.”
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 5 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 6 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 7 Mixed weekend for Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey
- 8 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 Rain ruins the cricketing weekend