Otters hog the headlines to see off Pig on the Hill in petanqque match
Without a win this season, Ottery St Mary Peteanque Club travelled to North Devon on the final day of May to encounter undefeated Pig on the Hill, writes Dave West.
The Otters obviously enjoyed playing in the Piggies’ new piste that had been built in April, and they hogged the score line to win convincingly by four games to one!
The opening triples saw honours even with Ottery’s John, Rose and Peter losing a hard fought game to hosts Chris, Rick and Pam, 13-11.
The other contest saw Otters’ Derek, Sue and Dave power their way to an emphatic 13-3 success over Gary, Mo and Doug.
So it was all to play for in the three doubles and the visitors made a good start when Derek and Dave beat Doug and Mill 13-4.
You may also want to watch:
The other match saw John and Rose see off the Piggies pairing of Chris and John, 13-7.
Otters’ Peter and Sue were the last to finish, fighting all the way to win against Rick and Pam by the closest of margins, 13-12.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 5 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 6 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 7 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 8 Mixed weekend for Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey
- 9 Rain ruins the cricketing weekend
- 10 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
On the home front, the Ottery St Mary club have had to vacate their piste at The Salston Manor and are busy exploring two possibilities for a new home.
In the interim period members are able to play as guests at the new Honiton Petanque club on Sunday mornings and Wednesday evenings.