Otters land petanque success at Isca
Last Wednesday evening the Otters visited Isca to continue their chase for the Devon League title, writes Dave West.
The triples were shared when Pete, Sue and Derek took their game 13-11 against Exeter’s John, Janet and Ted, while John, Rose and Dave went down 5-13 to Stewart, Yvonne and Joan.
With all to play for in the doubles Pete and Sue came through to beat Joan and Ted by 13-7, but John and Rose continued to suffer by going down 2-13.
In what proved to be the decider, Derek and Dave were cruising along comfortably against Janet and John only for the Isca pair to take five points and then four points from consecutive ends; but the bearded Otter pair dug deep to emerge by a whisker with a deserved 13-12 win (this certainly not a close shave!).
The 3-2 success enabled the Ottery team to return home with a good win.
You may also want to watch:
The previous Sunday seven members of the Ottery St Mary club represented Devon in the annual encounter with Cornwall.
John and Rose Thatcher, Pete and Sue Smith, Mike and Marie Pegg and Dave West were all on duty in county colours.
- 1 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 2 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 5 The annual Marriott Trophy at Sidmouth Town Football Club
- 6 The questions of British Lions selection
- 7 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 8 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
This year’s match was played in Cornwall at St Day and the weather was great, especially after two consecutive wet events.
On home ground Kernow fielded a strong team and despite some very close games the home side emerged with a 17-13 victory - even without pasties!